Under this double degree arrangement, students will be able to complete two master degrees (from HKU and UZH, respectively) in two to three years, depending on the study mode. Students will have to complete their first master’s degree (LLM) at HKU within one year (as a full-time student) or two years (as a part-time student), and then complete their second degree (MLaw) at UZH as full-time students in one year.
The LLB/MLaw Double Degree Programme also allows Year 3 LLB students or mixed degree Year 4 students at HKU Law to complete a 18-month study at UZH to obtain a MLaw degree of UZH and an LLB degree of HKU, provided that they must complete all the requirements for the award of the LLB degree before they could be awarded the MLaw degree.
More information on the Double Degree Programme from UZH
The Faculty of Law of the University of Hong Kong offers 8 LLM programmes:
• Master of Laws [LLM]
• Master of Laws in Arbitration and Dispute Resolution [LLM(Arb&DR)]
• Master of Laws in Chinese Law [LLM(Chinese Law)]
• Master of Laws in Compliance and Regulation [LLM(CR)]
• Master of Laws in Corporate and Financial Law [LLM(CFL)]
• Master of Laws in Human Rights [LLM(HR)]
• Master of Laws in Medical Ethics and Law [LLM(MEL)]
• Master of Laws in Technology and Intellectual Property Law [LLM(T&IPL)]
The Faculty of Law of UZH offers the following programmes:
• Master of Law UZH Law (in German); and
• Master of Law UZH International and Comparative Law (in English)
You can find more details about the programmes as mentioned above here.
To be eligible for admission, a candidate shall:
a) be a local Hong Kong student*, and
b) be admitted to one of the LLM programmes offered by HKU Law under the September 2022 intake, and
c) comply with the General Regulations of HKU and UZH.
*Non-local students should approach the University of Zurich for more details.
The medium of instruction and examination in the University of Hong Kong is English.
For eligible candidates seeking admission based on qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong, the language of instruction and/or examination is not English, are required to satisfy the Faculty’s English proficiency requirement. The Faculty accepts IELTS and TOEFL with the specific requirements below:
IELTS: Minimum Requirement- Overall band 7 or above, with no subtest below 6.5
TOEFL (Internet-based Test): Minimum Requirement - A score of 97 or above
TOEFL (Paper-based Test): Minimum Requirement - A score of 593 or above
The medium of instruction and examination at the Faculty of Law UZH is in German or exclusively in English.
Candidates may be asked to present proof of sufficient language skills in English or German.
Up to five (5) students in 2022-2023.
Please check the current tuition fee for respective LLM programmes at HKU Law.
For Master of Law programmes of the University of Zurich, the tuition fee and study/teaching materials for one academic year are about CHF 2500 – 3000 in total.
Interested applicants must complete the following instructions on or before 12:00 PM HKT of 28th February 2022 (Monday):
1) Complete the online application at https://admissions.hku.hk/tpg/programme-list-2223 and mail your support documents to the following address; and
LLM/MCL Admissions Team
10/F, Cheng Yu Tung Tower, Centennial Campus,
The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, HONG KONG
(Attn.: Ms Doris CHENG, Faculty of Law Office)
2) Confirm your participation in this arrangement by attaching your application letter via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, application number and programme applied on the email subject line [e.g., HKU-UZH Double Master Degree Programme – CHAN Siu-ming, 110xxxxxx, LLM(MEL)].
If you experience any difficulties during your application, please email email@example.com for assistance.
Current third-year LLB students or fourth year mixed degree students at HKU Law are eligible to apply. You should contact the administrative coordinator of your programme for eligibility, application procedures and enquiries.