Under this double degree arrangement, students will be able to complete two master degrees (from HKU and UZH, respectively) in two to three years, depending on the study mode. Students will have to complete their first master’s degree (LLM) at HKU within one year (as a full-time student) or two years (as a part-time student), and then complete their second degree (MLaw) at UZH as full-time students in one year.
The LLB/MLaw Double Degree Programme also allows Year 3 LLB students or mixed degree Year 4 students at HKU Law to complete a 18-month study at UZH to obtain a MLaw degree of UZH and an LLB degree of HKU, provided that they must complete all the requirements for the award of the LLB degree before they could be awarded the MLaw degree.
More information on the Double Degree Programme from UZH
The Faculty of Law of the University of Hong Kong offers 8 LLM programmes:
• Master of Laws [LLM]
• Master of Laws with Specialisation in Medical Ethics and Law [LLM]
• Master of Laws in Arbitration and Dispute Resolution [LLM(Arb&DR)]
• Master of Laws in Chinese Law [LLM(Chinese Law)]
• Master of Laws in Compliance and Regulation [LLM(CR)]
• Master of Laws in Corporate and Financial Law [LLM(CFL)]
• Master of Laws in Human Rights [LLM(HR)]
• Master of Laws in Technology and Intellectual Property Law [LLM(T&IPL)]
Students in the Double Master's Degree programme can choose between the following programmes:
• MLaw UZH Rechtswissenschaft (in German); and
• MLaw UZH International and Comparative Law (in English)
More details about the programmes can be found at: here.
To be eligible for admission, a candidate shall:
a) be a local Hong Kong student*, and
b) be admitted to one of the LLM programmes offered by HKU Law under the September 2024 intake, and
c) comply with the General Regulations of HKU and UZH.
*Non-local students should approach the University of Zurich for more details.
The medium of instruction and examination at HKU Law is English.
For eligible candidates seeking admission based on qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong, the language of instruction and/or examination is not English, must satisfy the Faculty’s English proficiency requirement. The Faculty accepts IELTS and TOEFL with the specific requirements below:
- IELTS (Academic): An overall band 7.0 or above, with no subtest below 6.5
- TOEFL (Internet-based Test): A score of 97 or above
- TOEFL (Paper-based Test): A score of 593 or above
*The faculty only accepts IELTS/TOEFL score reports if the result is obtained within two years of the application deadline.
The medium of instruction and examination at the University of Zurich is in German or exclusively in English. Nominated applicants may be asked to present proof of sufficient language skills in English or German.
Up to five (5) students in 2024-2025.
Interested applicants must complete the following instructions on or before 12:00 PM HKT of 29 February 2024 (Thursday):
1) Complete the online application at https://admissions.hku.hk/tpg/programme-list and follow the application instructions; and
2) Confirm your participation in this arrangement by attaching your application letter via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, application number and programme applied on the email subject line [e.g., HKU-UZH Double Master Degree Programme – CHAN Siu-ming, 110xxxxxx, LLM(CFL)].