Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

See below for frequently asked questions. Please email us at if your questions have not yet been answered.


See Q1-14 for General FAQs.

See Q15-18 for FAQs specifically for non-local students.

See Q19 for FAQs specifically for LLM (Arb&DR) students.

Last Update: 30 September 2023.

  1. If my first degree is in a discipline other than law, am I eligible for admission to the Master of Laws and Master of Common Law programmes?

Applicants in this category are welcome to apply our LLM programmes with specialisations, such as LLM(Arb&DR), LLM(CFL), LLM(CR), etc.

The University accepts admission of students with a degree in a discipline other than law with at least second class honours accepted by the University for this purpose and have at least two years relevant experience and professional qualifications.

Do I need to satisfy the English language requirement for the LLMs and MCL programmes?

Only if you are from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong where the language of teaching and/or examination is not English. Applications for exemption may be considered with justifications.

Acceptable English language qualifications are either the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Academic and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Please see below the programme required standard for the respective test:

TOEFL: A score of 593 or above (paper-based test) or 97 or above (internet-based test)
IELTS: An overall band score of 7 or above with no subtest below 6.5 (except for MCL)
IELTS: An overall band score of 6.5 or above with no subtest below 6.0 (for MCL only)

In each case, for admissions purposes, the test score report is regarded as valid for two years.

How many intakes does the Faculty have for the Taught Postgraduate Programmes and when is the deadline for application?

There is only one intake in every September.

Invitations for applications for September intake usually begin in December of the previous calendar year. The application deadline will be the end of February of the same calendar year.

How to apply?

Applicants must apply through the online application system before the application deadline, then submit their supporting documents by post shortly after making an application.

What is the application fee?

Applications fee is HK$300 per application and should be made online by the end of the online application.

What if I am interested in applying for admission to more than one Master of Laws programme?

Please submit an online application form through the online application system for each programme and pay the application fees for each application.

Can I apply for September intake if I will be completing my undergraduate or postgraduate study by July of the same calendar year?

Yes. Please send us the most up-to-date transcript together with other supporting documents for assessment shortly after submitting an online application. An official transcript containing the final examination results for the award of the degree must be sent to us as soon as it is made available, and by August of the same calendar year the latest for the purpose of facilitating the application process.

How many copies of transcripts and supporting documents are required if I have made more than one application?

Each application must come with a set of supporting documents, including a copy of a transcript for the consideration of the respective Admissions Committee.

Do I need to submit an official/certified true copy of academic transcripts?

Yes. However, we also accept copies of academic transcripts for preliminary references if they are yet to be made available at the time of submission. A certified true copy of a transcript/diploma must have been duly declared or have been certified as true copies before a notary public (e.g. a Commissioner for Oaths at a Home Affairs Enquiry Centre in Hong Kong) or by the appropriate officials of your home institute.

Copies of documents must be certified true by the appropriate officials of your home institute with an official stamp if you are an overseas applicant.

Does HKU accept digital transcript as supporting documents? What should I do if my university only provides digital transcripts?

An official statement from your Institution/University certifying the issuance of digital transcript is the only transcript issued to students must be provided to us, or alternatively, a certified true copy of a digital transcript with the official signature of the institution representative and the official stamp is acceptable. Please feel free to contact us for further instructions if you have any further questions.

What should I do if the original transcript(s)/certificate(s) is not in English?

Applicants are obliged to produce either the original or a certified true copy of the transcript(s) in BOTH its original language and its English version. We are unable to process your application if either version is missing. Official translations must be verified by your original university, a qualified legal profession, a notary public or official translation service.

Will I be granted advanced standing for similar credits/courses taken and passed at another university or comparable institution accepted by the University?

Subject to application and approval, a student may be granted advanced standing for up to 9 credits in accordance with the degree regulations, for studies completed successfully no more than 5 years before admissions to the programme.

When and how will the application result be announced?

Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications as soon as late April via post and/or email. If you have not heard from us by August 15, you may wish to contact the Faculty of Law Office by email at for assistance.

Does the University allow concurrent registration?

According to the University General Regulations, registration for more than one degree is NOT allowed.

I am staying in Hong Kong with a dependent/working visa. Am I a local or non-local student? Is there any constraint in studying with a dependent/working visa?

You are considered as a local student if you are holding a dependent or working visa. Please note that working visa holders may take up part-time study subject to the endorsement of your employer.

As a non-local student, can I study a part-time programme and work outside of my study?

Non-local students can ONLY take up full-time study and are not permitted to take any employment, regardless of paid or unpaid, during their stay in Hong Kong unless the circumstances detailed in the Hong Kong Immigration Department website is met.

Does the University provide in-campus housing to taught postgraduate students?

The HKU Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) provides residential halls for students, with priority given to undergraduate students. There is no guarantee of admission to a hall place for postgraduate students (except for limited scholarship awardees that have agreement with the Faculty of Law). For further information on residential halls, please visit CEDARS’ accommodation website.

Does the Faculty of Law provide any scholarship?

Scholarships are available to eligible candidates for applying for admission to Master of Common Law programme and to Master of Laws in Human Rights programme on merit and financial basis subject to application.

Are there any FAQs specifically for LLM(ADR&DR) students?

You may look for FAQs specifically for LLM(Arb&DR) students at LLM(ADR&DR) programme website.